Friday, January 22, 2010

Moral Dilema

Have you ever gotten a consumable gift for Christmas/birthday etc, that you liked so much that you had a hard time deciding when or if you were going to eat it or use it? For Christmas of 2008, my wife found Root Beer Fizzies. They are one of those childhood memories of mine. Maybe you had them, too.

Above, is my box of Root Beer Fizzies. I really want to plop a tablet or two into a gladd of water and drink up that sweet, fizzy goodness. However, at the same time, I don't want to, because then, .... then they will be gone. Unfortunately, at this point, I may have waited so long, that the Fizzies are no longer any good, bummer. What does this have to do with scooters?
As seen above, the other night on my way home from work, I turned over 5000 miles on Stella. I'll be hitting 15,000 miles on the Buddy, soon, as well. Occasionally, while I'm riding, I think about the fact that I am "consuming" my scooters. They will only last a certain number of miles, then, sadly, they will need to be replaced.

I love my scooters and the thought of being without either of them saddens me. At the same time, though, I WANT TO RIDE! I want to ride every day. I can't wait to Ride the Iron Butt ride. I love it. It's a bizarre combinations of feelings. The desire to ride vs the desire to conserve my scooters so that I have them around to ride.

I am encouraged by "Bonegirl" a Modern Buddy member. She now has approximately 40,000 miles on her Buddy 125. I am also blessed by being in a position in my life where I can afford to buy my scooters. If the Buddy disintegrates during my 1000 mile Iron Butt ride in March, I won't have to wait too long before I can buy another.

But it won't be the same.

Ride on,
Howard

2 comments:

  1. Howard:

    You are lucky to have a spare scooter, "just in case" one needs to be serviced. They are meant to be used so just enjoy

    I don't think we can purchase Root Beer Fizzies up here.

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife searched for months for the Fizzies and bought them on e-bay. You're right, it IS great to have another scooter. I think they get jealous of one another at times.

    ReplyDelete